On 10:04 AM by Rachel Preston
20 years ago... when I found out that I had macular degeneration and was going to go blind… I decided that I wanted to spend whatever time I had left working for one of the best church architects in the country.
After all, I had found my way to architecture when visiting Paris with my mom. I fell in love with St Chapelle, and then while visiting Notre Dame Cathedral... I •knew• that I wanted to design spaces that helped people connect to Spirit.
So, I went to work for the church architect. It was a profound experience... made more so because he encouraged his staff to go to seminary, or to become super involved in their churches, so that they would become experts in the architecture of their religion.
I delighted in the assignment, and went to my Unitarian church and worked with the ministers to create a 200 hour lay ministry curriculum.
After I finished my training, it became increasingly common for friends on the 'spiritual not religious' path to say "Rachel, you are one of the most spiritual people we know... and we would love for you to marry us." Over these 18 years, I've probably married 100 couples and I've helped countless friends as they negotiated the passing of a loved one.
The ministry is one of the single most important aspects of who I am. It is where I found my place in architecture, and in life.
Search
Categories
A-School
About Me
ABQ
Archaeo-Architecture
Archaeology
Architectural Musings
Architectural Travel
Architecture Criticism
Architecture Inspirations
Architecture Internship
Architecture Movies
Art Inspirations
Books worth a Look
Colorado
Fashion
Gratitude
Great Design
Great Quotes
Historic building materials
Historic Building Periods
Inspiration
Leadership
Movies Worth Watching
My Art
My Life
My Writing
New Mexico
Photography
Poetry
Preservation
Recipes
Santa Fe
SEED
Storytelling
Sustainability
Taos
TEDx
Popular Posts
-
Once upon a time ten thousand years ago the first Ziggurat was built in the desert lands of a great king a half a world away. Not so lo...
-
This exquisite table top icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe is in a private collection I was lucky enough to get to see recently. It is the work...
-
This is the queen of the Earthships. She's called the Phoenix and she's gorgeous. She's also available for sale for $1.5million...
-
A few shots of my girlfriend Cherie's fabulous home in Bernalillo, which she just listed on the market... it feels like a quiet oasis ...
-
We visited the earthships as a part of the UNM-Taos Sustainability Institute Humanitarian Design Seminar this past week. Here are some hig...
-
Some still shots from the sites we hope to shoot and themes we will be exploring for a program we are producing for our non-profit Archite...
-
So, a few weeks ago, USAToday posted a list of the 25 essential buildings to see in New Mexico that they got from the AIA. I personally th...
-
So I recently was made aware that there is a 10 year old little girl who is coming to Santa Fe and loves architecture. Her dad reached ...
-
This simple primer is a brief overview of the material covered in New Mexico Historic District Tax Credit workshops. These financial incen...
-
How can it possibly be more beautiful? Melinda LittleJohn is one of our local Taos art heroes, in my book!
All rights reserved.. Powered by Blogger.