On 11:05 AM by Rachel Preston in About Me
I thought recently that maybe I should tell the story of my ministry.
I've always been intrigued by religion, but that wasn't what motivated me to become a minister.
In fact, I kindof became a minister by accident.
A few years after grad school, I was working at an architecture firm renown for their religious design, when I lived in Virginia. Our boss recommended that we study whatever religion we were... with a real commitment to coming to understand their design sensibilities, even encouraging us to look at seminary. Being a Unitarian, I got super involved with my church's lay ministry and ended up doing about 200 hours of training, including leading my own classes in Finding your Spiritual Voice.
At around the same time, it was legal, and still may be, for any person who wasn't a licensed minister to marry one couple each year in Virginia. A couple of friends wanted to get married and they asked me if I would perform the wedding, since I was "their most spiritual friend". I thought that was kindof awesome, and I was intrigued by pulling off a at-home wedding as they were, so I said yes and helped them pull off what I thought to be an incredibly rad day.
Guests at the wedding asked if I would do their wedding too, but it wasn't legal for me to do weddings without a license, so I got one.
And from there, it grew and grew. By word of mouth, mostly. I never advertised, though I did have a website when I was doing weddings in Vail.
Some of my couples and their families are still my dear friends and I relish the fact that I got to be there to stand witness for them. Some have divorced, and some have had babies, and some have lost loved ones, had surgeries... all the things a minister witnesses for any family. And I am still there cheering them on, through whatever comes.
It's a fabulous blessing, this life. I'm glad I got to do that.
And I'm glad knowing I'll do it again. ; )
I've always been intrigued by religion, but that wasn't what motivated me to become a minister.
In fact, I kindof became a minister by accident.
A few years after grad school, I was working at an architecture firm renown for their religious design, when I lived in Virginia. Our boss recommended that we study whatever religion we were... with a real commitment to coming to understand their design sensibilities, even encouraging us to look at seminary. Being a Unitarian, I got super involved with my church's lay ministry and ended up doing about 200 hours of training, including leading my own classes in Finding your Spiritual Voice.
At around the same time, it was legal, and still may be, for any person who wasn't a licensed minister to marry one couple each year in Virginia. A couple of friends wanted to get married and they asked me if I would perform the wedding, since I was "their most spiritual friend". I thought that was kindof awesome, and I was intrigued by pulling off a at-home wedding as they were, so I said yes and helped them pull off what I thought to be an incredibly rad day.
Guests at the wedding asked if I would do their wedding too, but it wasn't legal for me to do weddings without a license, so I got one.
And from there, it grew and grew. By word of mouth, mostly. I never advertised, though I did have a website when I was doing weddings in Vail.
Some of my couples and their families are still my dear friends and I relish the fact that I got to be there to stand witness for them. Some have divorced, and some have had babies, and some have lost loved ones, had surgeries... all the things a minister witnesses for any family. And I am still there cheering them on, through whatever comes.
It's a fabulous blessing, this life. I'm glad I got to do that.
And I'm glad knowing I'll do it again. ; )
Search
Categories
A-School
About Me
ABQ
Archaeo-Architecture
Archaeology
Architectural Musings
Architectural Travel
Architecture Criticism
Architecture Inspirations
Architecture Internship
Architecture Movies
Art Inspirations
Books worth a Look
Colorado
Fashion
Gratitude
Great Design
Great Quotes
Historic building materials
Historic Building Periods
Inspiration
Leadership
Movies Worth Watching
My Art
My Life
My Writing
New Mexico
Photography
Poetry
Preservation
Recipes
Santa Fe
SEED
Storytelling
Sustainability
Taos
TEDx
Popular Posts
-
Once upon a time ten thousand years ago the first Ziggurat was built in the desert lands of a great king a half a world away. Not so lo...
-
This exquisite table top icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe is in a private collection I was lucky enough to get to see recently. It is the work...
-
This is the queen of the Earthships. She's called the Phoenix and she's gorgeous. She's also available for sale for $1.5million...
-
A few shots of my girlfriend Cherie's fabulous home in Bernalillo, which she just listed on the market... it feels like a quiet oasis ...
-
We visited the earthships as a part of the UNM-Taos Sustainability Institute Humanitarian Design Seminar this past week. Here are some hig...
-
Some still shots from the sites we hope to shoot and themes we will be exploring for a program we are producing for our non-profit Archite...
-
So, a few weeks ago, USAToday posted a list of the 25 essential buildings to see in New Mexico that they got from the AIA. I personally th...
-
So I recently was made aware that there is a 10 year old little girl who is coming to Santa Fe and loves architecture. Her dad reached ...
-
This simple primer is a brief overview of the material covered in New Mexico Historic District Tax Credit workshops. These financial incen...
-
How can it possibly be more beautiful? Melinda LittleJohn is one of our local Taos art heroes, in my book!
All rights reserved.. Powered by Blogger.
.jpg)




.jpg)


