On 1:15 PM by Rachel Preston in Inspiration
I thought I was just offering an answer to the question, “How
Would You Start Your Commencement Address?”
Outside of digging in to how I felt about the state of the
world, and my role in it, inspired by questions asked on Echoing Green’s cool website,
and getting “bragging rights,” I didn’t think anything that remarkable would
happen.
Was I wrong!?! A few days after
my submission, I got an email from Work on Purpose Director, Linda Kay Klein,
congratulating me on winning the Echoing Green Work on Purpose challenge, and
telling me that she had looked me up online, and seen that I was already on the
path of inspiring people! Her comments blew me away, honestly, and made me more
sure than ever that what I was doing was of value. (And here I’d gone to the
Echoing Green website to get inspired!) Linda then offered me an hour long call
to help me finesse my own messaging, communications and story-telling, to help
me through any places where I felt like I was getting stuck, as she put it “so
by the time I DO give that graduation address, I would be ready!” It was as if
she had seen who I wanted to become, before I even was ready to admit it to
myself!
In our coaching call, Linda asked me what she could help me
with. I was preparing a new talk to open the very first TEDx event in Santa Fe.
I felt some pressure, because I was the first speaker and would effectively set
the tone for the entire event, but also because it would be my first time speaking
in public without slides. The benefit of slides is that they can keep you on
track if you forget where you are. In NOT using them, I was stepping outside of
my comfort zone by a mile. I’m not one of those “loves to hear themselves
speak” people who is a natural in front of crowds. I’m only naturally confident
when I am eye-to-eye with people.
Linda helped me to step into a more comfortable frame of
mind when I speak in public by connecting emotionally with my audience. She
gave me permission to let my heart guide my words. That was immensely powerful
and probably the most important thing she taught me, as it’s changed the way I
see the world. Now, I give myself permission to connect with people - even if
it’s a HUGE room full of people - for a great conversation. She also helped me to stay on topic by using
message triangles and to leave my audiences with motivating information -
things they can take home with them and implement in their own lives.
The talk went GREAT and several people stopped me after the
TEDx was done and told me that it was their favorite! Now, a year and a half
later, the lessons of motivating from my heart, of meeting people where they
are, of using message triangles to stay on topic, and of giving people tools to
make a difference in their own lives is coming to fruition in the most
gorgeous, community-impacting ways! I’ve changed the course of my architectural and preservation firm to one that celebrates engaging the community, and I’ve even
started producing a television show to share with people how they can live
better without technology, using the homes they have: to stay warmer in winter,
cooler in summer, have access to water, and to grow their own food on their own
yards.
I cannot thank Echoing Green enough for their investment in
me as a challenge winner. It may have only been an hour of Linda’s time, but
these days, finding mentors who see us in our truest form, and then do
something, anything… to help us achieve our dreams, is a rare, and wonderful
gift.
Please don’t be afraid to put yourselves out there and attempt your own
“Work on Purpose challenge.” No matter what, you’ll grow.
And if you are very
lucky, you’ll win!
Blessings
Search
Categories
A-School
About Me
ABQ
Archaeo-Architecture
Archaeology
Architectural Musings
Architectural Travel
Architecture Criticism
Architecture Inspirations
Architecture Internship
Architecture Movies
Art Inspirations
Books worth a Look
Colorado
Fashion
Gratitude
Great Design
Great Quotes
Historic building materials
Historic Building Periods
Inspiration
Leadership
Movies Worth Watching
My Art
My Life
My Writing
New Mexico
Photography
Poetry
Preservation
Recipes
Santa Fe
SEED
Storytelling
Sustainability
Taos
TEDx
Popular Posts
-
Once upon a time ten thousand years ago the first Ziggurat was built in the desert lands of a great king a half a world away. Not so lo...
-
This exquisite table top icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe is in a private collection I was lucky enough to get to see recently. It is the work...
-
This is the queen of the Earthships. She's called the Phoenix and she's gorgeous. She's also available for sale for $1.5million...
-
A few shots of my girlfriend Cherie's fabulous home in Bernalillo, which she just listed on the market... it feels like a quiet oasis ...
-
We visited the earthships as a part of the UNM-Taos Sustainability Institute Humanitarian Design Seminar this past week. Here are some hig...
-
Some still shots from the sites we hope to shoot and themes we will be exploring for a program we are producing for our non-profit Archite...
-
So, a few weeks ago, USAToday posted a list of the 25 essential buildings to see in New Mexico that they got from the AIA. I personally th...
-
So I recently was made aware that there is a 10 year old little girl who is coming to Santa Fe and loves architecture. Her dad reached ...
-
This simple primer is a brief overview of the material covered in New Mexico Historic District Tax Credit workshops. These financial incen...
-
How can it possibly be more beautiful? Melinda LittleJohn is one of our local Taos art heroes, in my book!
All rights reserved.. Powered by Blogger.